Part-Time Media Relations Officer
ACL is seeking a highly motivated person for a three month part-time role as Media Relations Officer based in Canberra.
This is a new position for immediate start in August 2012 with a view to extend it beyond the initial three months.
ACL is a grass roots lobby group which aims to see Christian principles and ethics accepted and influencing the way we are governed, do business and relate to each other as a community. In short, ACL seeks to foster a more just, compassionate and moral society.
Media is an essential part of ACL’s role as it speaks into the public square and the organisation has achieved a very credible reputation for Christian public commentary.
ACL is seeking a highly motivated person to fill the role of Media Relations Officer commencing in mid August 2012.
Key Responsibilities include:
• Monitor national media to identify media opportunities
• Prepare and distribute ACL media releases
• Facilitate media requests for interviews and information
• Develop and maintain relationships with key media contacts
• Grow ACL’s presence in the Christian and secular media
• Writing for ACL’s blog and other publications
• Managing content on ACL’s websites
• Media relations management for ACL forums, conferences and other events
• Assist in formulating ACL media lines and positions
• Facilitate ACL’s communication with supporters by producing the monthly newsletter
• Assist with the training of ACL staff and supporters in media awareness
• Provide the media point of contact for ACL State Offices
• Provide media support for ACL State Directors
• Produce ACL’s fortnightly television spots
Experience and qualifications:
• Experience in public relations, media or journalism
• A tertiary qualification in media, public relations or communication is highly desirable, but experience will be taken into account
• Experience of the Australian political system is preferred, but an understanding of it is a requirement
• Experience in public policy development is preferred, but the applicant must display understanding of the process of policy development in Australia.
Character and Complementary Skills
• A vibrant Christ-centred faith as evidenced by a commitment to regularly engaging God in prayer, reflection and His Word
• Intentionally engaged in an expression of local church
• Personal qualities including:
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills
- Capacity to work under pressure and meet short time deadlines
- Proven intellectual capacity
- Display in his/her private and professional life a Christian worldview that will allow him/her to represent the Lobby and its purpose
- Good personal organisation
- Servant leadership qualities
• A well developed biblical worldview would be an advantage, with basic understanding of a diverse range of areas including theology, philosophy, economics, sociology, law, ethics and history
• Demonstrated ability to perform web based research
• Competent in using Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, web content management software and in navigating databases
Applications should be made attention to the Chief of Staff and can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org