ACL compiles a daily media monitoring service of stories of interest to the Christian constituency relating to children, family, drugs and alcohol, marriage, human rights, religious freedom etc.



Visit the ACL’s website each day to see what’s of interest in the news. Please note that selection of the articles does not represent ACL endorsement of the content.



.



Drugs & Alcohol

Drinking is Australian - overdrinking shouldn't be


Neer Korn - ABC

The 15-year-old girl spoke of having woken up in hospital after a night of excessive drinking which resulted in her losing consciousness. She was describing the incident to a group of her peers gathered around a table to discuss teen behaviour. As she related the story, her face beamed with pride, punctuated by a wide smile. There was nothing shameful in it. She was boasting.


Education

Public schools fare worst in funding


Justine Ferrari - The Australian

Independent and Catholic schools received greater increases in government funding per student than public schools over the past five years. The Productivity Commission's Report on Government Services says government funding for private schools rose 3.4 per cent per year in real terms between 2007 and 2012. By contrast, government funding for public schools rose 2.4 per cent a year in real terms.


Gambling

Asian women run drugs from the Golden Triangle to pay gambling debts


Padrraic Murphy - News Ltd

Criminal syndicates are ­targeting gambling-addicted Asian women at Crown casino and forcing them to act as drug mules on heroin runs from the Golden Triangle. The County Court has recently dealt with a spate of middle-aged Asian women targeted by loan sharks at the casino and forced to run drugs to repay the debts.


Homelessness & Poverty

Poverty is real, and here


Cassandra Goldie - The Australian

The article by Adam Creighton ("Poverty here? Give me a break - The real problem for Australia is an addiction to welfare", January 17) ignores the real poverty faced by 2.2 million people living in Australia today.


Indigenous

As a nation celebrates, PM seeks a 'unifying moment'


Goya Dmytryshchak - The Age

As thousands lined Melbourne streets to wave Australian flags and others debated the appropriateness of celebrating on the date of "invasion", Prime Minister Tony Abbott warned that constitutional recognition of indigenous people should not be a "rush job".


Rio Tinto details blueprint for indigenous jobs

Patricia Karvelas - The Australian

Mining giant Rio Tinto has told Tony Abbott's indigenous jobs review that enormous changes must be made to get Aborigines into jobs. These include providing incentives for the nation's best teachers to relocate to remote Australia and changing rules that make it attractive to stay on welfare in order to receive cheaper housing.


Marriage

Relationship counselling is welfare, and it works

Jenna Price - The Canberra Times

I stand before you as a beneficiary of welfare. Make your own judgments. I know you will anyway. In 1985, when our eldest child was about six months old, we went to marriage guidance counselling. It was recommended by my GP who, I think, could no longer bear me sobbing in her office every other week.


Overseas Aid

It's not just the rich who benefit from free markets

Julie Novak - ABC

Proposals in a recent Oxfam report, if implemented, would be a recipe for continuing impoverishment of the many. The Oxfam report states that inequality is on the march, with about 50 per cent of total wealth owned by 1 per cent of the world's population, with the other half of total wealth owned for the remaining 99 per cent of the population.


Politics

Griffith byelection: Rudd no help to Labor


Heath Aston - SMH

Kevin Rudd is unlikely to take any further part in Labor's bid to retain his Brisbane-based seat of Griffith. The former prime minister's famous personal magnetism with voters, particularly in Queensland, appears to have dimmed since he led Labor out of office and quit Parliament.


Prostitution & Sex Trafficking

Amnesty calls for legal prostitution: Charity says laws that ban people buying or selling sex breach 'human rights'


Jack Doyle - Daily Mail

Laws that ban people from buying or selling sex should be scrapped because they breach their human rights, according to Amnesty International. A policy document drawn up by the charity claims that prostitutes, pimps and men who buy sex are simply ‘exercising their autonomy’ and should be allowed to do so ‘free from government interference’. Critics last night said Amnesty was 'losing the plot'