WITH PARLIAMENT RESUMING ON TUESDAY OCTOBER 17, THE ANDREWS GOVERNMENT WILL ATTEMPT TO RAM THROUGH EUTHANASIA AND ASSISTED SUICIDE FOR VICTORIA.
The Voluntary Assisted Dying Bill 2017 is not safe. Depressed, coerced, and vulnerable people will die unnecessarily if parliament approves this bill.
The proposed law will legalise euthanasia for the first time in Victoria.
Allowing doctors to kill their patients is an ethical and legal minefield - it means changing medical practice to train doctors in killing their patients.
Major medical institutions like the Australian Medical Association and St Vincent's Health have spoken out against these changes.
We cannot allow the Government to put vulnerable lives at risk. Even one accidental death by assisted suicide or euthanasia is an unacceptable and irreversible tragedy.
You can make all the difference in defeating this life-taking legislation by emailing your state MPs today.
We need as many people as possible to contact their local lower and upper house MPs and ask them to vote NO to this dangerous legislation.
Even if you have not emailed them in October, they need to hear from you again now.
PLEASE CONSIDER THE POINTS BELOW. CONSIDER USING, OR MODIFYING, SOME OF THEM IN YOUR EMAIL TO YOUR MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT (IN THE TEXT BOX BELOW). YOUR OWN WORDS ARE MOST PERSUASIVE.
Reasons why Dan Andrews’ euthanasia bill is dangerous for Victoria.
- Medical professionals are healers not killers.
- The Australian Medical Association (AMA) is opposed to assisted suicide & euthanasia. St Vincent’s hospital, the largest provider of palliative care in Victoria, is vehemently opposed to the legislation.
- Palliative care and pain relief should be offered to patients, not killing.
- This Bill abandons the patients who obtain the lethal cocktail, to their homes, without medical care, to attempt suicide within months or years. The attempt may fail and be very painful.
- So-called “safeguards” in medical killing legislation are never safe. Experience from The Netherlands, Belgium and Oregon show that safeguards to medical killing cannot be legislated.
- Medical killing sends a dangerous message to people living with disabilities that some lives are not worth living.
- The message that suicide is an acceptable solution to suffering will be heard by everyone who has suicidal tendencies.
- The reality of elder abuse means that assisted suicide may be used by relatives to gain inheritance. There is no foolproof way of ensuring people are not being coerced into ending their lives.
- The elderly, who have internalised the message that they are a burden, will see the right to die as a duty to die, to relieve the burden of others.
When typing your message in the text box below, PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
Do not add a salutation like 'Dear MP', this is added automatically.
- Please be concise and respectful in your correspondence.
- Include your name and contact details below so your MP knows you live in their electorate.