Here is some information to use in your emails to MPs. Please adapt the information as you see fit. You will also see some suggested starters for your emails when you enter your information.
Abortion to Birth Bill
- Abortion is available up to the time a child is capable of being born alive (considered as 23 weeks) if two doctors think the continuation of the pregnancy involves a greater risk to the life or the physical or mental health of the woman than if the pregnancy were terminated.
- After that abortion is only available if it is necessary to preserve the life of the mother.
- Currently there are about 4000 abortions a year in South Australia. No woman has been prosecuted under this law.
- Makes abortion up to 22 weeks and 6 days available on request from a health practitioner.
- Abortion may be provided from 22 weeks and 6 days to birth if two doctors think it is medically appropriate. (This loose term is not defined but will include physical or psycho-social reasons. In Victoria, an average of 65 babies post 23 weeks gestation are aborted each year for psycho-social reasons).
Key changes we advocate for are:
- The current law should be preserved – meaning abortion should not be available after the child is capable of being born alive – unless the mother’s life is in danger.
- The Bill’s proposal on current interpretation will mean, in practice, that abortion is available to birth on request. This must be rejected.
- There should be an offence of abortion coercion.
- The proper provision of information should be mandated. Abortion trauma is increased if full information is not provided.
Take action today
Using the form below, please write an urgent letter to your local MPs – it will only take a couple of minutes. Be concise and respectful.
The salutation at the start and your name at the end will both be appended automatically. Please don't add these to the letter below, eg please do not address the email “Dear MP's name”.
When you complete your name and address in the box below, your letter will be directed to your Legislative Council MPs and your House of Assembly MP.
Thank you for standing up against abortion-to-birth.