Your submission to the Select Committee of the Legislative Council is vital to help oppose the Statutes Amendment (Repeal of Sex Work Offences) Bill 2020 and instead call for the Nordic model of prostitution law reform.
Information you can include in your submission
The Select Committee is more likely to respond to a thoughtful submission. We will provide some information for your email, but here is some additional information if you would like to personalise your message...
- Police Commissioner, Grant Stevens, said the bill would place community safety at risk and allow organised crime to flourish, and added that organised crime syndicates are operating in the SA prostitution industry.
- Since prostitution was decriminalised in New Zealand, prostitution has grown exponentially. Street work has shifted to residential areas and waste is left in the streets and on private property.
- The Adelaide City Council opposes the decriminalisation of prostitution.
- To repeal all laws relating to prostitution will protect pimps and brothel owners. More women will be drawn into – or forced into – prostitution and become vulnerable to abuse.
- The Nordic model for prostitution reform is the most progressive and just prostitution law in the world. It targets demand and provides meaningful exit strategies for exploited people – mostly women – who are prostituted. Israel was the eighth nation to implement the Nordic model, and there is now a bill before the UK Parliament.
- Decriminalising prostitution is NOT in the best interests of South Australians.
- We want to prevent an expansion of prostitution and crime – and implement the Nordic Model for prostitution law reform – which has been so successful in other countries.
- Read the complete bill or view the official request for submissions.
Take action today
Using the form below, please write an urgent letter to the Select Committee – it will only take a couple of minutes. Be concise and respectful.
The salutation at the start and your name at the end will both be appended automatically. Please don't add these to the letter below, eg please do not address the email “Dear Select Committee”.
When you complete your name and address in the box below, your letter will be directed to the Select Committee of the Legislative Council.
Thank you for standing up for community safety.