This latest sex-and-gender law is now at a critical stage. The government had the numbers recently to move the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Amendment Bill 2019 through the Lower House, with 56-27 voting in favour of the bill.
The bill now goes to the Upper House (House of Review) this coming Tuesday 27 August. In that House, the government holds only 18 of 40 seats.
Act now to ask your Victorian Upper House MPs to vote against this dangerous absurdity.
If this law goes through, Victorians will be able to change the sex on their birth certificate once a year, every year without any surgery, drugs, or even cross dressing.
Tell your Upper House MPs today!
The Victorian Government wants to introduce law that means a person can change their “sex” on their birth certificate just by stating that they now ‘identify’ as the opposite sex.
This means people can change their sex without sex-change surgery, hormone treatment or even counselling.
A person need not even attempt to present themselves to the world as the opposite sex, they merely need to say they ‘feel’ female or male.
Expressing one’s ‘gender identity’ through clothing, choice of name or mannerisms and behaviours is different to the sex recorded on the birth certificate.
Unlike the expression of gender identity – the legal record of our sex has an impact on our legal relationships with others.
Women’s groups are rightly horrified with the thought that under what is proposed, any biological male who identifies as female will have the right to access sex-specific spaces like bathrooms, domestic violence shelters and dormitories.
According to Attorney General Minister Jill Hennessy, this Bill is about “Giving trans and gender Victorians a basic right – a birth certificate which reflects who they truly are”.
When sex is defined solely as how one feels about oneself as male or female with no basis in genetics or sexual development, the term “sex” on the birth certificate loses any concrete reference to objective biological reality.
We are asking if you would inform your local MP’s about the consequences of this bill for all Victorians?
They need to hear from you on this Bill.
Use the text box below to create your own letter. Your own words have far more influence than a form letter!
Once you enter your address in the box below, your letter will automatically go to your 5 Upper House MPs.
In your own words, please consider:
- Please vote against the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Amendment Bill 2019
- Birth Certificates should record the biological details and parentage of a newborn, not subsequent feelings about one’s own ‘gender identity’, which is essentially personality.
- Enabling a biological male to change their “sex” on their birth certificate merely by stating that they now ‘identify as’ a woman puts women and children at further risk of male violence in domestic violence shelters, gymnasiums and toilets.
- Despite the statement of Attorney General Jill Hennessy, this Bill is not about ‘the right to equality’. It is about erasing any legal distinction between male and female people – which will disproportionately disadvantage women and girls – who require this distinction in order to be able to exclude males from private spaces. This will regress the cause of gender equality.
- Integrity on birth certificates is essential for securing family and societal heritage. Changing established facts on birth certificates, upon request, is forcing public documents to lie about important physical differences.
- Thank you for voting against this Bill.