This is a critical time for our nation. We are facing an unprecedented set of challenges and how you and I respond will shape the character and values of Australia.
Already we have seen some remarkable successes since I last wrote to you:
- Solidarity Sunday united Christians from all denominations in prayer for our persecuted brothers and sisters.
- We’ve seen the Senate inquiry reject the Greens’ overseas same-sex marriages bill.
- Our National Conference was a tremendous success. Bill Shorten’s keynote speech highlighted the need for us to continue to develop our relationships across both sides of the political aisle.
- And, in the Northern Territory, ACL’s lobbying resulted in the government shelving a plan to legalise the buying of women for sex in brothels.
But, between now and the end of March, the three largest states will each be going to the polls. Victoria, Queensland and New South Wales make up nearly 80% of Australia’s population, and these elections will help to shape the character and values of our nation.
In each state, we are fighting important battles in order to foster a more just and compassionate society:
- In Victoria, the freedom of schools to prefer hiring Christian staff is under threat.
- In Queensland, we are continuing to campaign for the introduction of laws so that all outdoor advertising will need to be G-rated.
- And, in NSW, it looks like the Greens have a real chance at picking up an extra seat in the Upper House and putting any future conscience vote on issues like euthanasia and abortion at risk.
With so many important challenges facing our nation, I am so grateful for your support. Only with your prayers, petitions, visits to MPs and your financial support
can we continue to be a strong voice for values to our nation’s leaders.