NSW - You can help end slavery!
The deprivation of someone's liberty is a serious injustice. Conservative estimates reveal 40 million human beings are trapped in an exploitative supply chain in the world today.
Recently the Hon. Paul Green MLC for NSW and member of the Christian Democratic Party introduced a bill into the upper house of New South Wales Parliament to directly tackle the slavery supply chain.
The Modern Slavery Bill 2018 (NSW) addresses the findings and recommendations of a parliamentary inquiry into human trafficking.
Human Trafficking is an abhorrent form of modern slavery. It is a transnational crime that preys on the most vulnerable. Human trafficking includes slavery and slavery like practices such as servitude, forced labour, debt bondage, organ trafficking, deceptive recruiting as well as forced marriage and childhood brides.
I am asking you to join me supporting this bill by gathering signatures on a petition.
This petition calls on the House to support the introduction and passage of the Modern Slavery Bill 2018.
Our initial target is 10,000 signatures. We will reach this goal if we join in gathering signatures from our church, family, friends, and neighbours. It is time to take a stand against Modern Slavery!
- Signatures must be collected on single sided pages only. The petition pages must not be photocopied back to back.
- Only original petitions, not copies, can be tabled in the Legislative Council.
- Please post your petitions to me at the address below. Do not send by email or facsimile.
- Return by May 15.
Your signature can help defeat the tragedy of modern slavery
NSW does not accept electronic petitions, so you will need to print, sign and post this petition back to us.
Post completed petitions to:
Mr Kieren Jackson
Australian Christian Lobby
Level 12, 95 Pitt St
Further resources on modern slavery and human trafficking:
- Voice for Values Interview with Paul Green MLC
- Voice for Values Interview with Wendy Francis from the Centre for Human Dignity
- Blog on the introduction of the Bill by NSW Director, Kieren Jackson
- ACL’s submission to the Human Trafficking Inquiry
- Blog on human trafficking by Wendy Francis from the Centre for Human Dignity:
- Text of the Bill
- Explanatory Memorandum