The Australian Christian Lobby is seeking a Research Officer to join its fast-paced National Office team in Canberra. The role is extremely busy, requiring a high rate of productivity. The ability to synthesise and articulate research and commentary on complex social and ethical issues is essential.
The role is an excellent opportunity for the candidate to develop a sophisticated knowledge of public policy, the best current research, and comparative developments in other jurisdictions, especially with respect to key moral and social issues.
Duties will consist of:
- Writing submissions to Federal and State parliamentary inquiries on issues including:
- Marriage and family
- Domestic violence and social cohesion
- Euthanasia, abortion and pro-life matters
- Human rights and freedoms charters and legislation, especially freedom of religion, conscience, association and speech
- Foreign aid, refugee policy and migration
- Persecuted minorities overseas, including the Christian church
- Indigenous issues, including constitutional recognition
- Prostitution, including the Nordic Approach
- Pornography, the internet, advertising and the sexualisation of society
- Adoption and foster care
- Surrogacy and issues involving the rights of children
- Keeping abreast of the most current research and commentary on these issues.
- Maintaining ACL’s research archives.
- Maintaining up to date knowledge of comparative developments with respect to these issues in other jurisdictions.
- Briefing ACL staff, including the Managing Director, Chief of Staff and State Directors on issues within ACL’s purview and their development over time.
- Actively help to work up policy and strategic responses as part of the ACL Strategy Committee.
- Liaising with experts and advisers, including lawyers, economists, academics, politicians, public servants, lobbyists and NGOs.
- Other writing tasks may be delegated from time to time, depending on organisational needs and the abilities of the candidate. For example, blog posts and media releases.
The ideal candidate:
- Legal qualifications and/or background is highly desirable. The candidate will have to write complex policy analysis and interpret legislation.
- A political background or a moderate to sophisticated understanding of Australian politics and parliamentary process is highly desirable.
- Is able to synthesise and articulate large volumes of information on complex policy issues with accuracy and persuasiveness.
- Is confident, able to represent ACL to bureaucrats, politicians and stakeholders.
- Must have the capacity to work under pressure and juggle multiple deadlines.
- Must be committed to Christ and His church, having an active and evident Christian faith.
- Must, through life and conduct, reflect a very high standard of Christian character at all times.
Please send your updated resume and a cover letter to the Chief of Staff, firstname.lastname@example.org
The last day for applications will be Thursday June 18th.Download a PDF copy here.