Your voice is needed to help form a tsunami of opposition to the abortion-to-birth bill now before NSW Parliament.
The radical bill has passed the Lower House and the bill is now before the Upper House (Legislative Council).
The Legislative Council will resume debating the bill on Tuesday 17th September. This means there is very little time to have your voice heard.
Each step of the way, MPs have felt the pressure from your emails, phone calls and rallies, but we can’t stop now. We need to raise our voices even louder to show that the community does not support this radical bill.
Use the form below to send an email to all members of the Legislative Council asking them to vote against this bill.
The following points can assist you in writing your email:
- Sex selection abortion will be allowed if this bill passes. A poll shows 84% of voters oppose this.
- This bill allows abortion right up to birth. From 22 weeks to birth, so long as a doctor thinks it “should” occur and a second doctor is consulted then abortion can happen (that’s 5 ½ months right until 9 months). Most agree this is radical as babies beyond 22 weeks are viable outside the womb. A poll shows 70% of voters oppose this.
- Babies that are born alive because of a failed abortion will be left to die. Nothing in this bill will require medical staff to render any care to these babies. 60% of voters agree that care should be given.
- Pain relief will not be given to the unborn child before it is killed.
- Doctors who have an ethical objection to collaborating in an abortion should not be required to violate their conscience. This bill makes them an accessory to the provision of abortion by requiring them to refer the mother to a doctor who supports abortions.