Please write to your relevant local Upper House Member in the text box below:
Women’s safety at risk in Victorian Government’s new sex-change law
The Victorian Government wants to introduce law that means a person can change their “sex” on their birth certificate just by stating that they now ‘identify’ as the opposite sex.
This means people can change their sex without sex-change surgery, hormone treatment or even counselling.
A person need not even attempt to present themselves to the world as the opposite sex, they merely need to say they ‘feel’ female or male.
Expressing one’s ‘gender identity’ through clothing, choice of name or mannerisms and behaviours is different to the sex recorded on the birth certificate.
Unlike the expression of gender identity – the legal record of our sex has an impact on our legal relationships with others.
The Attorney-General Martin Pakula says nobody should be forced to undergo major surgery to get a birth certificate that reflects who they are.
What he doesn’t say is that women’s safety will be put at risk by the ability of any man to have an identity of ‘female’ legally upheld.
Women’s groups are rightly horrified with the thought that under what is proposed any biological male who identifies as female will have the right to access sex-specific spaces like bathrooms, domestic violence shelters and dormitories.
When sex is defined solely as how one feels about oneself as male or female with no basis in genetics or sexual development, the term “sex” on the birth certificate loses any concrete reference to objective biological reality.
Furthermore, the Bill explicitly will create the possibility for ‘same-sex marriage’ by providing that where a married person changes sex to that of the other partner, the marriage will continue to be valid.
The Bill has passed the Legislative Assembly (which the Government controls) but can be defeated in the Legislative Council (which the Government does not control) when the vote on the Bill is taken this week.
Can you inform your local Upper House MP in the following Parties- Liberal, National, Shooters & Fishers, and Vote 1 Local Jobs- of the consequences of this bill on all Victorians? These are the MP's that are in need of hearing from you on this Bill.
Use the text box below to create your own letter. Your own words have far more influence than a form letter!
Once you enter your address in the box below, your letter will automatically go to the relevant MPs.
In your own words, please consider:
- Do not insert a salutation, like 'Dear Mr Purcell', this is added automatically
- Please vote against the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Amendment Bill 2016
- Birth Certificates should record the biological details and parentage of a newborn, not subsequent feelings about one’s own ‘gender identity’, which is essentially personality.
- Enabling a biological male to change their “sex” on their birth certificate merely by stating that they now ‘identify as’ a woman puts women and children at further risk of male violence in domestic violence shelters, gymnasiums and toilets.
- The Victorian Attorney General should not attempt to create ‘same-sex marriage’ by stealth through changing the birth certificate of one of the partners
- Despite the rhetoric of Attorney General Martin Pakula, this Bill is not about ‘gender equality’. It is about erasing any legal distinction between male and female people – which will disproportionately disadvantage women and girls – who require this distinction in order to be able to exclude males from private spaces. This will regress the cause of gender equality.
- Integrity on birth certificates is essential for securing family and societal heritage. Changing established facts on birth certificates, upon request, is forcing public documents to lie about important physical differences.
- Thank you for voting against this Bill.