The Labor government in WA is set to introduce the Human Reproductive Technology and Surrogacy Legislation Amendment Bill 2018 in order to change the existing laws.
Surrogacy is an incredibly emotive issue.
If passed these new laws will allow, for the first time in Western Australia, single men to obtain children.
Mothering and fathering are different and complimentary. Public policy should always maintain the importance of both, not enshrine either as optional.
Please take this opportunity to use the below text box and email your member of the Legislative Assembly as soon as possible.
Together, we can help our parliamentarians choose the rights of children before the desires of adults.
Here are some helpful points you could consider in your email:
- Giving single people the right to surrogacy deliberately denies a child the right to a father or a mother.
- Children have a right to grow up with their biological parents.
- The reason given for allowing access to single men, is that the current laws (passed in 2008) gave single females the right to access surrogacy arrangements, however we are told that no single female has applied for surrogacy in this 10-year period. Rather than extend the right to single men, the right to surrogacy for single people should be removed.
- Sociological and psychological research clearly shows that children brought up by their biological parents in a married relationship fare better in all measures. (see report)
- The only studies that claim there are no statistical differences in outcomes, were based on extremely small sample sizes, guaranteeing any differences would not be uncovered.
- Do not address the email 'Dear MPs name' - this will be added automatically to your MP.
- Be concise and respectful.