“First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions…” –1 Tim 2:1-2a
"In advocating for religious freedom and the gospel, we must not merely be people who act, but even more importantly, people who pray." –Martyn Iles
Here are some specific prayer requests...
- Religious Discrimination Bill (Federal): Pray that meaningful changes result from the two Parliamentary committee inquiries and that the bill passes when Parliament resumes in February.
- Religious Exceptions Bill (Vic): This bill passed with no amendments. It will allow the Andrews government to meddle in the hiring and daily operations of Christian schools, churches and religious organisations. Pray for those who will be affected.
- Assisted Suicide Bills (NSW, NT, ACT): The NSW euthanasia bill passed the Lower House. It will now go to the Upper House. Pray for strong opposition to the bill. There are also efforts to introduce euthanasia to the NT and ACT; pray they will not succeed.
- Grassroots movement: Pray for God's blessing on ACL supporters, volunteers and prayer partners. They play such a powerful role in influencing politics and culture for Christ; pray that God will refresh and provide for them.
- Decriminalising Prostitution (Vic and SA): The Victorian Lower House passed the legislation and it will now go to the Upper House. Pray for opposition to this bill and for support for the Nordic Model of prostitution legislation - which more effectively stops human trafficking. Pray also that the legislation will be rejected in SA.
- Parental Rights Bill (NSW): The bill will go to the Legislative Council for debate. Pray that it will pass in both the Upper and Lower Houses - to protect parental rights and stop schools from teaching gender fluidity to children.
- Anti-Vilification Bill (Vic): The government supports most of the recommendations we were concerned about, which will restrict free speech. It will take a while to be drafted into a bill. In the meantime, keep praying that freedom of speech will be protected.
- Born Alive Bill (Federal): Pray that the government will allow this bill to be debated and that it will pass - so that babies born alive in failed abortions are given medical care and pain relief.
- Afghanistan: Continue to pray for hope, stability and safety for the people of Afghanistan. Pray too for the 3,000 Afghan refugees who are re-settling in Australia - that they will find friendship, homes, work, and all the support they need.
- Human Rights Law Alliance: Pray for HRLA lawyers to have wisdom and favour as they defend Christians who are facing discrimination for their faith. Pray that God will draw many more Christian lawyers to join their alliance.
- Government leaders: Pray for God's wisdom for our Prime Minister, Opposition Leader, and for all who are appointed to serve as government leaders. Pray that our nation will be free and prosperous.
- Churches: Pray for Australian churches to grow in size, spiritual maturity, and effectiveness in discipling members of their communities. Pray that many more Australians will turn to Christ and find a church home to belong to.
Have you got our latest Prayer Guide?