The upcoming Queensland election is arguably one of the most significant pro-life events in our nation’s history. Until this day, changes to abortion law have reduced the protection of life. But on 31 October, Queensland voters who care about life have a very real choice.
The following parties have all committed to review Qld’s current diabolical abortion legislation and enact changes to save babies and protect women:
- the LNP
- One Nation, and
Queensland’s Opposition Leader, Deb Frecklington, is calling for a review on:
- Sex selection abortions
- Medical assistance for babies born alive after abortion
- Mandatory independent counselling – including screening to ensure women are not coerced into abortion
- Improving Gestational limits, taking viability outside the womb into consideration.
It’s not surprising then, that a Black Mass has been planned in Noosa on election eve. The Noosa Temple of Satan is part of a network ‘Satanic Australia’. They are politically active and say that they fight for “Satanic change” such as access to euthanasia and abortion.
It was so encouraging to meet with Sunshine Coast pastors, church and prayer network leaders last week to pray and plan our response to this evil. We came from different backgrounds and different traditions, but we were of one mind and heart. It was such a wonderful time of fellowship. Together we recognised that Satan may be a powerful enemy, but as followers of Jesus, we have no fear. Satan’s power is limited and will end. We serve the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords and we fix our eyes on Jesus. But this is not a passive response. Quite the opposite.
We are determined to act, as we:
- Hate evil. “Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good.”
– Romans 12:9
Our culture has turned evil into entertainment. People pay money to see evil unfold on the big screen. It creates a numbness to the actual presence of evil – when it is right before our very eyes. We are to be people who recognise evil and hate it.
- Pray against evil. Matthew 6:13 is a great example – “deliver us from evil.”
- Stand against evil. “So I sought for a man among them who would make a wall, and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land, that I should not destroy it; but I found no one.”
- Unify with God’s people against evil. Nehemiah positioned people around the wall to rebuild, but they had enemies. So, he told them:
“Wherever you hear the sound of the trumpet, join us there. Our God will fight for us!”
The people were called to respond to the trumpet call, and then, God will fight for them.
- Weapons of our warfare. 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 assures us that: “the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God”.
- Armor of God.
“…be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.
Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,
and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.
In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.
With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.”
- Overcome evil. “We will not be overcome by evil, but we will overcome evil with good.”
Keeping our eyes focused on Jesus, we will work together to use what is meant for evil, to bring glory to God’s name on the beautiful Sunshine Coast.